Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama, War Damn London











WOOOW ok so I haven't updated in a while! Last week we went on the London Eye and a river boat cruise on the Thames. It was absolutely beautiful, because it was at sunset and it was perfect weather! This weekend our group went to Bath, Salsbury, and Windsor! Bath was soooo neat because not only did I get to see the ancient Roman Baths, but I got to see where Jane Austen lived for a couple of years! Last week in class we read Pride and Prejudice so my head was stuck in Jane Austen's fantasy world. After we toured the baths, we went to a bookstore and bought way too many Jane Austen books for so cheap, and by an English publisher, so you can't get them in the states. I have turned into a complete English nerd! Haha, but we also stopped at the "Real Italian Ice Cream" store and had the best gelato in the world! (Considering, I haven't been to Italy...so to me, it was amazing).

Next we went to Salisbury, which was actually quite enjoyable because once we got to the town, we took a bus to Stonehenge which was in the middle of nowhere so I got to see some of the English countryside. Stonehenge was so neat, and even though it is a bunch of rocks, I reccomend anyone who is in the country to venture that way. When we got back into the town, a huge group of us decided to go to pizza hut, and let me tell you how different it was than in America! First of all it's a sit down restaurant, and we had 3 courses...and there is a pizza hut in every town I have been to in England so far--wow do the British love there pizza hut! After our rather large meal we walked around the markets for a bit and I ended up getting a 5 pound watch--what a deal! My friend got one as well, however hers stopped working within an hour...haha I guess that's what you get for being cheap!

When we got back from Salisbury, we were all ready for a night out, so we headed to Piccadilly Circuis and went to a pub called O'neils. It actually turned out to be so much fun because the band took a great liking to us Americans once he found out we were from the South and he played Sweet Home Alabama for us! Ha it was one of my favorite nights so far! And everytime he would sing "Sweet Home Alabama" he would give us the mic and we screamed "War Damn Eagle", it was wonderful!

We had just gotten to bed when we had to wake for our tour of Windsor Castle. The flag was flying when we got there and Queen Elizabeth was there, which was neat because we were touring a castle which was still being used. One of my favorite exhibits we saw was Queen Mary's dollhouse, which was absolutely amazing!!!! Every little girls dream...a miniature palace for her dolls...

After we toured the castle, we ate at a very good restaurant on the river. I had Sunday Roast, and I'm sorry to say Mr. Matt but the beef, yorkshire pudding, and gravy was the best I have ever had in my life! I still can't get it out of my mind and I had it 3 days ago!
The pictures in order are the Roman baths, a view from the London Eye, some of the group at Stonehenge, and a beautiful sunset on the Thames!

So all in all, it was a great weekend, however we are all cracking down on our list of things to do since we only have less than 3 weeks left! Ahhh it's already gone by so fast!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment